Some people find it overwhelming to find out how they have to prepare for their adventure to Machu Picchu through the incredible experience of Salkantay Trek. Hiking to Machu Picchu is something really amazing that we are all capable of doing, but these tips should get there a little easier. Hiking in the Andes is something different from sea level hiking. The higher elevation makes breathing difficult it is very common and known as altitude sickness . Some people find it helpful to use prescribed medication such as Diamox. Talk to your doctor to find out what is best for you. Get your body moving, walking, running, hiking whichever you choose will help you prepare for the constant movement and get through 5 day Machu Picchu Tour. When you are ready to pack for your hiking trip, remember these essential things that you should take:
Find out more...
What to Pack for Salkantay Trek?
- A winter jacket (preferable jackets with goose feathers): It is not necessary to bring your entire collection of winter jackets. For this trip, you only need a winter jacket to keep you warm and save space in your backpack. The key is to wear down the jacket, shirts or long sleeves to give an extra coat. You can find jackets of all prices in the market but we highly recommend making a small investment in a good jacket that will last for years. Also, make sure you have a hood to protect your ears and neck from the wind. Some jackets help you gain space in your backpack because they can be easily stored.
- A rain jacket: The rain jacket is very important. Weather in the mountains is unpredictable, even in the dry season it can rain. Therefore, it is necessary to bring a rain jacket to protect your clothes. If you do not want to invest in a jacket, you can also use a rain poncho.
- Waterproof pants: It is important to wear waterproof pants. These pants sometimes have a high price, but you can buy for a good price in Cusco (highly recommended for Salkantay trek).
- Rain Poncho: There are two types of ponchos: plastic (1 USD) and nylon (7 USD). Both can be easily purchased in Cusco around the main square.
- 2 pairs of long pants with closure to turn it into shorts (optional): Ideal, it is better to have two pairs of trekking pants. It is optional if you want the pants to become shorts, but note that some travelers just use large pants to avoid mosquito bites.
- 5 t-shirts / long-sleeved polo shirts (men / women)
- Underwear: 6 pair of the underwear that you feel more comfortable with.
Toiletries and medication:
- Lip balm and sunblock: You have to wear sun lotion even when is cloudy. Apply generously on the parts of your body which are exposed to the sun. If you have a delicate skin and get burn easily, do not forget to apply it on the back of your neck and on your wrists. Also keep a good repellent for mosquitos.
First aid kit:
- Tablets for diarrhea
- Tablets for altitude sickness
- Anti-nausea medication for motion sickness
- Pain killers for headaches
- Allergy and cold medication
- Something for stomach
- Baby wipes and tissues. You will use them all for your nose due to the changes in the air as well as refreshing yourself because there are not available showers in some spots.
- Bring all your prescriptions with you.
It is very important that your backpack has your original passport and your original identity document to be able to identify you at the checkpoints. In case of being a student, the ISIC card will be useful for some discounts in the price of the tour and in some establishments in the city of Cusco.
The memories of your adventure will be recorded forever in the memory of the camera and you can share them with your friends and family. To ensure the functioning of your equipment, do not forget to bring extra batteries and an additional memory card. The landscapes you will find are one of the reasons to choose the way from Salkantay to Machu Picchu, so prepare that camera!
- Cash: It is advisable to have around 400 soles (equivalent to 123 US dollars) in cash for extra expenses.
- Personal medications: If you follow a treatment, do not forget to take all your medications with you.
- Snacks: Small healthy snacks like energy bars, granola, yogurt among others.
- Souvenirs of your country: Share your culture with your travel companions and the people you meet along the way!
And finally enjoy your adventure during your 5 Day Machu Picchu Tour
commonly called Salkantay Trek
. Are you ready?
Salkantay Trek Packages and Inca Trail