One of the tourist circuits that has been gaining importance in recent years is the excursion to the town of Maras, Moray and the Salt Mines of Maras. There are located 30 km northwest of the city of Cusco and about 3,028 meters above sea level.
In this circuit they combine; the mysterious construction of Moray, as a point of concentration of energy, a place for research and acclimatization of plants; only hypothesis is known until today. Just a few kilometers down is the salt mine known as Maras, the attractiveness of this place is that the people who work are the same people from the place and nearby, they work it in an artisanal way using filtration grounds.
This tour is highlighted by the beauty of nature that can be seen and the agricultural work of our villagers. Also on the way we can see two very large lakes: Piuray and Waypo are sweet waters around the route, we will also have archaeological centers that we will visit the culture Inca where we will know the history of the Incas.
08:30 We pick you up from Hotel
09:00 Starting to the Maras, Moray & Salineras Tour
10:20 Guided tour of Moray
10:50 Driving to Maras
11:00 Guided tour of the Maras Colinial small town
11:20 Driving to Salt Mines
11:50 Salt Mines guided tour
12:30 Return to Cusco
Salt mines in Maras
Highlights of the Maras Moray & Salt Mines tour
- Remember, Maras was an important town during the viceroyalty (it was the main supplier of salt), as shown by the church and the houses that still conserve the shields of indigenous nobility in their facades.
- The place is highly recommended for lovers of photography and the area is ideal to do trekking or mountain biking.
- Don´t forget to visit Inca Tupac Sinchi Roca house ubicated in Jerusalen Street (Maras), likewise the imposing Church of San Francisco de Asís where you can see a beautiful caved and paints done by Antonio Sinchi Roca painter of the prestigious cusquenian school.
- Discover the magic of Moray, platforms that have more than twenty biozones of cultivation.
- On October 8 is celebrated the traditional Moray Raymi, in this traditional feast you can enjoy folk dances and samples of agricultural products obtained.
DAY 1:MARAS - MORAY TOUR HALF DAY
- The tour to Maras begins picking up at your hotel in Cusco between 07:50 hrs and 08:10 hrs.
- Moray is 37Km from Cusco, it is a unique archaeological group of its kind.These are gigantic natural depressions or holes in the surface of the land, which were used to build terraces or agricultural platforms with irrigation canals.Towards the northwest of the town of Maras we will visit the famous Salineras known by some as "salt mines" that are constituted by 3000 small wells with an average area of about 5 m².
- 1:00 pm return to the City of Cusco
- 14:00 hrs. arrival in Cusco we will leave you very close to the Plaza de Armas so you can go to lunch at the restaurant you like.
- Tourist Transportation
- Professional bilingual Tour Guide
- Entrance fee to Salt mine (Salineras).
- Tourist ticket,
- Water (You can buy during the tour),
- Meals not details,
- Tips to local staff
- Water bottle
- Extra money
- Your ID
- Personal medications.